Wednesday 25 October 2017

Carology News - Editing Process Part 6 - THE FINALE :)

 Today was the final edit day, which we where all happy about because we finally see the final product! I went in to provide any assistance possible to George while Cailan did the channel trailer and the website at home while Andrew was busy the whole day but did try his best to get  new music track to us before the final render tonight.

While I was not the editor I do have a long history editing so I did always have my best intentions when helping George. However today we did have a big disagreement over one segment later on (the map, half way marker). This was obviously hard to overcome but after I had voiced my opinion I could see that the tension was building so we tried our best to cool the tension and leave each other be for a bit. I do apologise to George because my thoughts probably came across in a way he did not like meaning that it created unnecessary tension.

George has been great in the edit so far and after a little time doing our own thing the tension was back to normal and we could continue the edit. He had added some really cool graphics to back up what is being said in the voiceover. This was a little thing that Helen pointed out so we wanted to make sure that we put that right. I really like that George has done such a good job with keeping with the colour scheme.

Another thing that Helen mentioned that we wanted to rectify was adding a visual clue about the prices of filling up an electric and petrol car. Once again this is scaled so you can see that the petrol is a lot more money to fill. He also added a "ker ching" sound effect so that you know we are talking about money in this situation!


We also added Overlays to all of the segments to let the viewer know the names of each person that appeared on screen. Myself, Ajay and Jason all got a little screen card. George also added the live simple with the spinning tyre. I really liked this particularly. It takes a good looking interview into a professional looking interview. I am really really happy in the way George has transformed this edit from even earlier today.
 Colour correcting was also needed on a few clips, mostly the big Panasonic which is strange because it is the most expensive by far but also was by far the hardest to film with and edit with. Only a few clips needed colour correcting though as it was mostly filmed with my cameras which surprisingly created better footage than the big camera!
I also edited the credits, it was nothing major but I did this while George was having lunch, making sure not to disrupt is rhythm. I added text in the Molot font that is consistent throughout and also added a little clip of each of us after each name card just so you could tell who was who (Not for university, more for if people see it on Youtube!)
Also one last thing I wanted to do was make all of the audio the same level. We decided -6db was what we would go with for the whole edit and it did not take long to do that. I also made sure the whole project was in stereo not mono as headphone users would dislike that a lot of the project until this point was mono audio.

I liked my contribution today, I did overstep George's boundary and I did apologise to him for doing that. He also apologised for snapping at me. It's crunch time and tensions where high but we did end up with a good product and I am happy with it.  I left because at 7pm as I wanted George to be able to make any final changes without me there. It means he can make the final decisions and I cant say anything. I am happy it is done! We can be happy with what we have achieved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...