Sunday 29 April 2018

Transition - Location Recce - Tunbridge Wells

On 1st of May, I recced the location that we intended film at for this unit. I had acquired the access from Kent Film Office, I just wanted to make sure everything was how I wanted it to be for the shoot day. I attended this important recce by myself and made sure I did my best to fill Cailan in on what he was missing. I felt that all the locations that I had planned to film at were as to be expected and would offer us great opportunities to vox pop and a great place to record a PTC.

Outside shopping Mall:

I aimed to film the vox pop's outside Royal Victoria Place which is a large shopping centre in Tunbridge Wells. From previous experience, I knew this area could be busy which would be good for our vox pops as we wanted as many opinions as possible. However, after recceing the location I realised there may be an issue with sound. There was a flight path above the location as well as the mass of shoppers which could create noise. There was also a bus but that was not very loud. I made the decision that we should still film here, either side of the road because I believe it will give us the best opportunity to get a large number of vox pops.


After to speaking to Cailan about this area, I feel he agreed we should take the risk of securing more vox pops rather than going somewhere inherently quieter, which may leave us with less actual content. It is risk vs. reward in this instance and I feel this is the best place in Tunbridge Wells that we could secure the right interview in or timeframe.

There should be no issues in terms of public access as there is a wide space and I doubt it will be heaving on a mid-week day in May. One thing to watch out for will be the road crossing, one we will cross on multiple occasions to move locations. We will need to cross this with care, especially when holding the kit.


Excuse the Google Maps pictures as I forgot to take my own ones!

Manna Cafe:

Cailan did a great job of talking with Manna Cafe but did not have the chance to recce the location due to where he is based. I decided to have a look for myself to understand the situation. There was not too much to look at from the outside, rather than there was a small walkway, so if we were to film outside we would have to be careful not to get in the public's way.

I did not go inside the cafe at this point as Cailan had not confirmed to the owner and manager that we were planning to use it. I saw from the outside there was a nice space by the window that Cailan had mentioned. I could see that it was quite a long building so there may be some opportunities to film at the back of the cafe. We will ask about all filming location possibilities inside the cafe on the day to get a better idea of what the light is doing on that day. I don't think lighting should be much of an issue, especially if we film by the window. I just think we will need to be careful about not overexposing his face. We may need to adjust chairs and tables to suit our shot. I told Cailan that I think this would bea good place to shoot and that he should confirm the location with the Cafe team.


One thing I had discussed with Simon is how Tunbridge Wells has a very unique style, and with the majority of Vox videos, it feels like it could be set anywhere. In this case, I need to make sure that the filming locations that I chose were suitable for this brief. Anywhere that was too outstanding or obviously unique would need to be avoided. I think this may be tough as Tunbridge Wells is unique in a lot of ways but I think we should be able to manage it. If we stick to close up shots we should be able to hide the scenery.

If we had more time I would have chosen a different location because I think this could have been set in London for a more global feel. Tunbridge Wells was the best scenario for well-educated responses for our Vox Pops in the time we had. We had the opportunity to film in Maidstone but I think we would have a better chance of proper answers and fewer people trying to interrupt when filming in Tunbridge Wells.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...