Thursday 9 November 2017

My Commision Project: Getting Started & Finding a Client

I had not had any thought in my mind about what I wanted to do for this unit, I always wanted to do the commission as it would give me a chance to follow up some ideas I had been thinking about since the summer break.

One of my strongest ideas was to make a documentary about the evolution of women's football looking at the facts and figures as well as seeing where it possibly could go in the future. With this idea in mind, I decided to send out a personalized email to all of the top women's football clubs. They compete in two categories WSL1 and WSL2 and I emailed every team that had contact details for both.

Here is an example of what I emailed!

I had to go to the clubs with an idea otherwise I feel they would be left too open and may just ignore the email. Even if the idea did not suit what they wanted I thought it made more sense to include an idea and we can adapt it if they wanted.

I was happy to get three quick responses. Millwall, Watford and Liverpool all responded which was a great start and they all wanted more information. This is what I sent to each club, personalizing each.


I was happy to be interacting in a professional way with such big clients. "Good email etiquette, actually business etiquette in general, dictates that you conduct yourself with professionalism. When you are too casual, use slang or inappropriate language, or send error-filled messages, it leaves a bad impression on the recipients of your message." (The Balance, 2016) It was easy to forget that all of these clubs in their own right were worth millions. I did my best in the back and forth conversations with the clubs to suggest what I thought would work best but at the same time listen to what they would want. After discussion with the clubs, I decided Watford would make the most sense as they are the closest out of the clubs that replied and also seemed the most enthusiastic about the idea.

I will talk more with Watford over the coming days to finalize an idea and then start planning and scripting the piece which they will use on their social media accounts! Social media videos are becoming ever more important with businesses. "Promotional videos can foster trust as well. Some consumers are still skeptical about buying products and services on the internet because they of the fear of being cheated. But effective marketing videos present your products in a conversational form." (Dreamgrow, 2017) While this quote is more associated with businesses but it works with the football club as well. It's a great way for the club to enhance the relationship they have with their fans.

I hope this will be a great opportunity for a football club to have the opportunity to have a very unique video that has not been done in women's football so far. I think I think I have the skills needed to produce a very professional peice that they can use online.


Bibliography:

The Balance, 2016
https://www.thebalance.com/email-etiquette-525535
Accessed on 9th November 2017

Dreamgrow, 2017
https://www.dreamgrow.com/8-reasons-why-your-business-should-use-video-marketing/
Accessed on 14th November 2017 (I edited this post at a later date)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...