Wednesday 1 February 2017

Director Research - Euros Lyn (TV)

Television:

A director that I have enjoyed researching into is Euros Lyn, he has worked on many big shows including Bafta winning show Happy Valley which is the reason that I know him.

A quick look at Euros rise through the ranks reveals that he started making films for S4C (Channel 4 Wales) in 1999-2000 but quickly started making some of the BBC's biggest shows. This was in 2002 when he started to direct some episodes of Casualty and 2005, one of the biggest shows on British TV Doctor Who. After directing many more shows on BBC/C4/ITV and stopping directing Doctor who in 2010 he has since worked on Daredevil which was his first venture into something not on mainstream TV.

'He has currently won 36 awards (According to his website) for his work I think shows his quality as a director. he will only settle for the best and probably won't attempt a project if it hasn't been given the necessary thought or funding.

Before doing any research what I remember from him as a director is that he really captures the emotion of each scene very well. I remember that he used a lot of close ups in important scenes to convey emotions and whilst this scene is not perfect to show this but it does show that he likes to keep in close in the conversation and won't go to a wide shot but stay right up with what the characters are saying and I feel this gives each scene a unique look and it gives the viewer a strong emotion which is also thanks to the great casting which helps convey the emotions Euros would have wanted from each scene.

In another of his shows "Damilola, Our Loved Boy" he credited his great casting director for getting the cast just right for the role which i think shows he is dedicated to making the best show possible, not just in the job for the money but a good crew around him is very important to make sure the show with his name on it is a success.

In that same interview he said that in that show he wanted to find a filming style that was poetic because he felt that gave the best approach to the story. I like this about him that he doesn't have a set idea before looking at what he has got, cast, locations etc so that when he has gone through it all logically he can make up a decision on what style he wanted to use in his show.

How this research will effect my film:

Euros Lyn will influence my work by his incredible ways that he captures emotion. In my scene I will need to capture the anger of the main character Sarah, and the emotion of her then seeing someone getting hit by a train. Lots of different emotions will be shown in one short scene in my work so the way Euros manages complex emotions will be important. Of course he has the use of a lot of money and time and professional actors so there will of course be a quality difference but his work will definitely be an inspiration to hopefully making my work better than it would have been before researching him.

It has also influenced my decisions when hiring actors. I have had multiple people asking to be a part of my project, for both characters. However I narrowed it down simply, by who was most keep to be a part of the project. Some would take weeks to respond whilst others would get back to me as quickly as possible. The people that got back to me quickly also where the most helpful so it was an easy evolution to narrow it down to 4 people for Sarah's character. Whilst it was tough to choose my eventual actor I did she has wanted to be apart of the project a little more than the rest, as for acting ability they were all very good. As for Felix's character I had less replies so it was tougher to judge who wanted it more but I have narrowed it down and I now think I have 2 very good actors who really want to be apart of my project which is motivating because I'm sure that means they will give it their all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...