Tuesday 28 March 2017

Documentary Unit - Finding a Presenter! (Part 1)

We have now got a solid plan for our documentary, but we need a presenter to give our show some character. I have had experience with CastingCallPro so I thought i'd put up an advert on there and see if anyone got back to us. I knew from last time that an advert did not normally get many responses even though I put a lot of time into it, but I thought it would be worth doing it incase we did get some responses for this unit, even though it's for a presenter not an actor.

This is how our advert looked and read once it was posted to CastingCallPro:

Once it was posted we just waited for some responses! I didn't expect us to get any sort of response, but it was great that we actually got 3 responses within a few days of posting which was great. These where the initial 3 applicants, all of which are in the right age range which is good but one guy (Jon) fitting the requirements in terms of size better.


Once we got the three applicants I messaged George and Cailan with who applied as of course we want to keep up with who might be the best fit for the role. George and Cailan agreed with me that Jon in terms of appearance at least fitted what we are looking for but I messaged all three of them with a few questions so we can gauge who suits the role best.

Here is an example of what I sent to all three:
 We have a script deadline on Friday so I wanted to make sure that was right before we committed to an actor so I wanted to try and narrow it down with these questions. Jon and Dominic have replied to me as of posting this and here is what they said.

Dominic was first to message me back:

Dominic seemed very up for this role and when I messaged Cailan and George they agreed, he obviously put a good amount of time in replying to us which is really appreciated. Even though Dominic didn't really fit the "figure" we wanted he could still be a very good presenter and from the work he has linked in this message he really does know what he is doing. I think he would be great.

A few days later Jon replied, and we were interested to see what he said as he was the only one that replied who fitted the "figure" we were looking for.


It was a little disappointing to have such vague answers in all honesty. We had thought Jon would have been the best from just looking at his picture, however he didn't give us much insight into what sort of presenter he would be. I have talked to Cailan and George about it and we hope that we can get Jon and Dominic to the studios to interview next week. It would also be good to see their commitment to the role.

I sent them both back an email thanking them as well as saying that we will talk more about the role next week once the script is planned. Here is the message:


First impressions after this first post are that Dominic seems more committed to the role even in this early stage but Jon fits the character profile better. I think we will discuss this further as It's tough to know what the actors are like so we may arrange interviews for next week around our lectures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...