Tuesday 10 January 2017

Director Presentation: John Fawcett

Director: John Fawcett 

He was born in Canada in 1968 and his first film was a short called Half Nelson in 1992. His first TV show was in 1996 and most of his shows have revolved around the Horror and Drama genres.

Main Credits as a director:
Ginger snaps (2000)
Orphan Black (2013-Present)
The Dark (2005)
Boys Club (1996)
These are the main 4 that he is known for but has directed 43 films and tv shows in total.

His Style:
He does an incredible job of building and squashing suspense meaning you are never sure what's going to happen next. This means the viewer is always on the edge of their seat. I also feel that he adds so many layers to his stories, especially in orphan black where it feels another new story line has been created.

He likes to use handheld camera in his work and also likes to hold a shot sometimes longer than is comfortable to make the viewer feel the impact more.

Another thing about Orphan Black is that overlaps into many different genres. It is mostly seen as a Drama and Thriller it also takes significant conventions from Sci-Fi, Comedies and even to a certain extent it feels like a sitcom in some scenes. Somehow all these genres work well together to make a really good TV Show.

It's a trailer but it shows the great way that he creates tension through his work.

My original scene that I am going to recreate.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x580bgg




I want to create this scene because I think it can really test my skills as a director, partly due to the fact I know I'm not going to be able to have someone getting hit by a train for example so it means I will have to come up with a clever solution to it.

It will also be testing because the same actor will be in the shot twice so it will be tricky to make that look right.

I would like to possibly go further into detail of Beth and what her life was like, as in this scene we don't get too much information.

As I know I cannot create some scenes (Like the train hitting Beth) so I think I will use a drone shot of the train coming towards the station. I also think I will set the dialogue based scene in a cafe instead of a bar, I think it would help with the lighting of the scene and I feel it is much more likely I could actually film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...