Thursday 24 January 2019

Production - Creating Annotated Circuit Map & GoPro Layout for License Shoot

Before we film the racing license scene, my job as director was to help out the camera operators as best as possible, allowing them to understand what shots they would need to get. I had sent the team the reference material I had taken inspiration from, allowing them to understand why I wanted these certain shots. These have been discussed and the team is prepared to capture the angles I have planned. First I created a shot list of all the vital shots that Cailan needed to get as DOP. He was in charge of all of the cameras, making sure they all got the right shot. The plan is for Cailan to be on the main camera with George and two fellow camera operators on the three other trackside cameras when I am on track. Here is my shotlist for the license scene:

  • Shotlist - License Day
  • Alex packing to get ready for License Day [At home] M/S,C/U
  • Alex leaving the house, shutting the door & getting in car M/S
  • Alex driving M/S,C/U
  • Car driving into the venue UW/S, EST SHOT [Iconography, Brands Hatch sign] 
  • Alex walking into license office & signing on MW/S
  • Following Alex as he listens to instructions/ gets ready for written test M/S
  • Alex reacting to George saying “Good luck” M/S
  • Alex taking written test M/S, C/U [If not allowed, fade to black after going through the door]
  • Alex coming through the door and reacting good/bad if he passed or failed written section M/S 
  • Alex waiting for practical test [Sitting down somewhere] W/S,C/U
  • Alex walking down to pitlane for the practical test M/S
  • Alex being shown around the car, preparing for practical test M/S, C/U to see emotions
  • Getting in car M/S - C/U as Alex sits in car, through side window
  • M/S Go Pro facing forward [out windscreen] during the practical test
  • M/S Go pro facing Alex during the practical test
  • M/S, C/U,EC/U of Alex on track driving the car
  • Car coming into pitlane and Alex getting out M/S
  • Celebrating [Hopefully] passing test M/S,C/U [Not sure where this will be confirmed but keep rolling]
  • Alex speaking to George after exiting the main building M/S,C/U [Capture the relief]
  • Alex walking back to Car & getting in M/S
  • Alex driving home M/S
  • Alex getting home, lying on bed and contemplating what just happened. M/S, go to C/U to see the emotion [Its really happening!]
After sending this to Cailan, I got to work creating a camera card for the four cameras we had around the track when doing my on track license test. While doing my written tests, Cailan will be capturing a variety of mid-shots and close-ups, trying to create tension around this moment. Jon (An extra camera operator) will be capturing different angles (if directed by Cailan) on a secondary camera in these written tests.

My camera cards for the on-track test are very detailed and show the variety of shot sizes that I want the camera crew to attempt. As we only have a fixed number of minutes (20 max) to capture these shots, each camera will be asked to slightly move locations to allow us to have the maximum amount of coverage. When scouting the track on the day I took my medical assessment, I took photos that I have used to help create these cards. Before we shoot the scene, it will be Cailan and Georges' job to walk through the information with the rest of the camera crew. I will be "in the moment" therefore I will not be worrying about the camera shots on the day. This has been decided in advance of every shoot day that I am in front of the camera. Cailan and George will take all the resources I have provided to create the sequence. It is a challenge now being able to direct in the traditional sense, but it is how we must be to ensure this documentary is as authentic as possible.

Using my own photos and ones found online, I created these camera cards which can be seen below. They go into detail about exactly what I want from each camera and how the camera operator can create this shot. These have been changed over the past few days, thanks to suggestions from the crew, meaning they should all know exactly what they are doing. You can also see where each camera is placed around the track in the bottom picture.







I am pleased with how these camera cards came out, as I think they give everyone a clear indication of what they need to get when I am out on the track. As I have shared them with the crew already, it means that we are in a good place going into this shoot day. Knowing the team are happy with what they need to produce is going to allow me to settle into my role as the contributor. I am very confident in the abilities of my team to take over my role for the day and capture all of the necessary shots. Along with the exterior cameras, I also plotted where I wanted the action cameras inside the car to be placed. 

George, Cailan and I spent the past few evenings testing out potential shots from inside George's car. We are confident that we have chosen the correct locations to capture the best view of me and the track. Completing this will allow us to have a vast array of coverage for this 90-second sequence. I am looking forward to seeing how this footage comes out, as any issues can be understood and rectified for our next shoots. Ideally, we would have had the chance to do a test shoot, but we did not have the time nor budget to complete one. Along with this, it is very hard to replicate what will happen in the license test. I know that I have prepared as much as I can for this, now I just need to rely on the team to carry out this shoot day! 




This is how we intend the cameras to be placed around the car, we are not aware of any issues that would stop this being a possibility. These camera positions have been chosen because they give both an opportunity for the viewer to see my reactions, as well as the track around me and what I am seeing. These shots, along with the footage captured around the track by our four cameras, will allow us to have a lot of choices in the edit. We are giving ourselves as many opportunities as possible to have a huge amount of coverage for the edit. I am really happy with the amount of planning I have done, which should mean everyone can capture the right shots. I do wish we could have had a test shoot, but unfortunately, it was not a possibility with so little time! 


GO PRO 1 - Looks towards Alex, capturing a close up as he drives around the track. The point of this camera is to see Alex's expressions and concentration as he drives. The edge of the steering wheel will be in the shot.

GO PRO 2: Located just under the rear view mirror, this camera will give the viewer an idea of what I am seeing as a driver. This will be pointing out the front of the windscreen and be almost a first-person view of the track. This will be great for cutaway shots, mixed in with the footage shot around the track

GO PRO 3: This camera will look out the rear windscreen, enabling the viewer to see people as I overtake them. This unique angle will be yet another useful shot to cut to in the edit to create a sense of speed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...