Monday 21 January 2019

Production - Collaborating with George and Cailan

Contributor Update [Team Hard]

Over the past weeks, I have been in contact with one of the UK's largest racing teams called Team Hard. They are based in Chatham and I have visited their site to speak more about possibly working with them on our project. This is where my role and Georges' somewhat overlap as I am scouting possible sequences and ideas, while he is typically arranging them. This started out as a typical email to scout the interest of Team Hard. They offer a very unique "Drive our race car" experience, which allows any person who is willing to pay the price, to drive one of their professional-level race cars. I originally emailed to see if we could arrange a simple experience day where I am the passenger, but after some discussions it was apparent they would like to take this further and allow me to drive one of their cars as well. There would be a cost to this, but after changes to the budget, it allowed this sequence to be a possibility. I was keen to take these opportunities as they came because I was not sure if they would happen again. Originally, if we had no budget left I was going to pay for this out of my own money, but after we dropped another costly scene, there was room.

This sequence would allow the viewer to realise one of the cheaper ways into motorsport and give me much need and valuable track time before my big race in April. As we are planning to cut an extended version of our film, this sequence would be much more prominent in that. I liaised with George and the racing team and they are happy for us to do this track experience at a reduced rate, thanks to my bargaining! This is an exciting opportunity for me and allows the team further opportunities to understand how best to film motor racing cars at Brands Hatch before the main event. This will be a key sequence for the whole team and allow us all experience in the needed areas. This now means we have a lot of shoot days at Brands Hatch, meaning there will be no excuses when it comes to race day! I worked well with George to ensure he had a say in this sequence, even though I was the one being proactive and understanding if this is a sequence we should include. This partnership with Team Hard could also allow George to sort out some interviews with their racing drivers, which will mean we have to spend less time finding a racing driver to speak about the issues I face on my journey. George now has all the details to go ahead and organise these interviews. We are still waiting on a date for the track experience with Team Hard, but they said it should be late February/ Early March.

I am very happy with myself as I was proactive and took the time to organise a meeting with the team and sort out possible ways we could work together. I am happy that George allowed me to do this, as he still does not know a lot of the technical aspects of the sport. The chats with the team were also going on before George and Cailan joined, so it made sense for me to pursue this opportunity while George sorts out the rest. George has been made aware of all the chats and he has helped massively in allowing this opportunity to happen. As a team, we are looking forward to working with this successful race team and I am very excited to get the opportunity to drive another race car!

Storyboards 

Cailan has also only produced storyboards for the racing license day so far but we hope to get some storyboards for the karting sequence as well. The reason for these storyboards is that Cailan can direct the crew on the shoot days and show a clear idea of what is needed. I was impressed with Cailan's work on these storyboards and I am interested to see how he visualises the karting sequence. I have stated that as director, I want Cailan to produce these storyboards at least 5 days in advance of the shoot days. This is so we can look over these as a team and work on any possible changes. I am also continually giving Cailan feedback and information as to how I visualise these sequences. All of this information should mean the crew has no issues when shooting on filming days!





Shotlists

I devised a detailed shot list for the three upcoming shoot days. These have been distributed among the people who will be involved. These are very important as it will allow me to focus on being the main contributor while giving the team knowledge of every shot I need for the edit. I spent a long time closely analysing my script and adjusting it that while crafting these detailed plans of what was needed from the camera operators. I know enough information is present, along with the wide breadth of source material I have shared, for the crew to know exactly what shots they should be doing. This now is up to the crew to communicate any issues they see or liaise with George on the day if something does not go as planned. I have spent the time creating these lists to allow the team to have a clear idea goal of everything they need to capture. I do wish we had the opportunity to do a test shoot, but nothing was organised by the producer, meaning we have not tested out these sequences properly. Also Alas, I have told the team to also capture any other moments if they see them as valuable, but only if and when as long as all of the shots that I absolutely require are finished along with it!

  • Shotlist - Medical
  • Alex Driving into the venue W/S, EST SHOT
  • Alex getting out of car M/S
  • Alex walking in “Sign on” MW/S [Following Alex in]
  • Alex speaking to the person behind the sign on desk. W/S, C/U of Alex
  • Alex walking to medical area MW/S [Following Alex] 
  • Alex taking medical - Mix of: EC/U,C/U,M/S Showing the emotions
  • Medical forms being written C/U [Get Reaction shots as well if needed]
  • Alex walking out of and room, capture reactions M/S, C/U
  • Alex walking back to the car & getting in W/S
  •  Alex driving [Thoughts on what's to come] M/S,C/U

  • Shotlist - License Day
  • Alex packing to get ready for License Day [At home] M/S,C/U
  • Alex leaving the house, shutting the door & getting in car M/S
  • Alex driving M/S,C/U
  • Car driving into the venue UW/S, EST SHOT [Iconography, Brands Hatch sign] 
  • Alex walking into license office & signing on MW/S
  • Following Alex as he listens to instructions/ gets ready for written test M/S
  • Alex reacting to George saying “Good luck” M/S
  • Alex taking written test M/S, C/U [If not allowed, fade to black after going through the door]
  • Alex coming through the door and reacting good/bad if he passed or failed written section M/S 
  • Alex waiting for practical test [Sitting down somewhere] W/S,C/U
  • Alex walking down to pitlane for the practical test M/S
  • Alex being shown around the car, preparing for practical test M/S, C/U to see emotions
  • Getting in car M/S - C/U as Alex sits in car, through side window
  • M/S Go Pro facing forward [out windscreen] during the practical test
  • M/S Go pro facing Alex during the practical test
  • M/S, C/U,EC/U of Alex on track driving the car
  • Car coming into pitlane and Alex getting out M/S
  • Celebrating [hopefully] passing test M/S,C/U [Not sure where this will be confirmed but keep rolling]
  • Alex speaking to George after exiting the main building M/S,C/U [Capture the relief]
  • Alex walking back to car & getting in M/S
  • Alex driving home M/S
  • Alex getting home, lying on bed and contemplating what just happened. M/S, go to C/U to see the emotion [Its really happening!]

  • Shotlist - Go Karting
  • Alex driving to karting M/S
  • Car driving up the slope to car park W/S [Looking down towards hut]
  • Alex greeting staff at circuit W/S
  • Alex signing on W/S, C/U on signing the form
  • Alex standing behind the barrier, with circuit behind him. M/S [Explaining to George why this is important]
  • Drone shot karts on track - Start of race, flying in opposite direction to karts to create speed. M/S
  • Karts on track M/S,C/U [Focus on Alex with moving camera that you will be using] 
  • One static camera capture UC/U shots we can layer mask. One static camera W/S. One static Camera M/S [3 or 4 races so cameras can
  • Alex crossing finish line to win M/S, Next race, focus on chequered flag C/U
  • Alex on the podium, getting medal M/S, Alex looking happy/smiling C/U





No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...