Thursday 7 March 2019

Production - Helping George Apply For Media Access

As we have an upcoming filming day at a race a weekend we needed to apply for media through MSV's online portal as the process is much more formal for actual race weekends. Even though we are going there to film the sequence with my Dad, we want media access to film miscellaneous shots of the track as well as avoiding the cost of 6 tickets for all of the crew. 

As George had no prior experience in this process he asked for my assistance. Unfortunately, the MSV portal is a long and arduous process so this took around 3 hours as there were many forms to complete. The first of which was to complete an MSV form stating the authorisation of George [The Producer] which allowed the rest of the crew to cover the event. This form needs to be attached to the online form for each application, including everyone's name on each form.
After these, I needed to attach proof of coverage in the past. As this is normally for text journalists and does not completely correlate to my previous video work, I had to link my previous interviews and videos from Brands Hatch as a YouTube link. This was simple and I also attached a screenshot of the video on YouTube as confirmation it is online. This process would then have to be repeated for the 5 other people working on this intended shoot day at Brands Hatch. Even though we are not typical journalists we have been in contact with Tom Arron from MSV and he stated that because this is going onto YouTube when the project is complete, he will aid us to ensure that our applications go through. 


After attaching the documents, each user had to have a photo, address and contact details attached to their profile to prove who they were when entering the venue to collect our media access on the race day. This process was not a hard one, but it was confusing, especially for George who had never completed all of the forms before. We worked very well as a team as he completed the form for each person while I added coverage details as well as making accounts for each individual member we hope to have with us on the shoot date.  

I think this process is a clear indication that we are working much better as a team and becoming better at understanding one another's issues and finding a solution. George came to me saying he had no idea where to start on this and instead of making him work it out by himself, it made much more sense for him to let me help him. The lessons learned over the past few months allowed this process to be much simpler and take significantly less time. It is great that George is able to allow me into his role as producer and help with things when needed. I have been able to help set up a lot of the interviews as I have had prior contact with the majority of contributors we have included. 

I am much happier with how we are working as a team now because at the start of this unit the lines were blurred between our roles but, now we see clear lines between them, it allows us to focus on what we should be doing, but help each other when needed. This development is also partly thanks to my research which has taught me what my responsibilities as a director should be. I see a clear improvement in how we are approaching each element of this project and it is improving the productivity within the team. Going forward we will strive to keep this within the team and I am really happy we have got to a point where this is the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...