Wednesday 21 November 2018

Pre Production - Tagline, Summary, Pitch & Overview of Events


TAGLINE: In this documentary, I will find out how hard is it to follow one of your dreams?


25 WORD PITCH: I'm on a journey to see how hard it is to follow your dreams. Experience my adventure of a lifetime on my pursuit to achieve a life's ambition.


SUMMARY: I will be going on a journey to complete a dream that I have thought about my whole life. I start as a complete novice and through professionals and application, I will gain the knowledge needed to achieve my dream of becoming a race car driver. The story will be pushed by a narrative of my childhood memories and my attempts to fulfil this dream earlier. There will be many obstacles I need to overcome to achieve my dream, without these events happening, it will not happen. 

OUTSIDE SUMMARY: This documentary will start with a flash forward to the race day of the event. The opening sequence will be quiet at first when giving some establishing shots. However soon after, the music will rise and speed and drama will be shown via a mix of shots of the car on the track. This opening scene will be designed to intrigue the viewer and give a hint at what is to come. The title sequence and explanation of my challenge will then follow.

The documentary will then go into more about my first introduction into motorsport and why it became such an important passion that has stuck since. These will be visualised in "Diary room" sequences where I will speak to the director in a staged room full of photos from my past. In these sequences placed multiple times throughout the documentary, the viewer will be able to have a greater understanding of my story and why I want to achieve this goal. The aim of these sequences is partly to challenge me as a presenter and allow me to speak about situations that led to this dream never happening at an early age and for a profession. 

I will also visit multiple significant locations throughout the documentary which are involved in my story of being a motorsport fan. Two of the most significant locations are Brands Hatch, where I went with my Dad to watch my first ever motor race. The other is Filching Manor when I went Karting at the age of 11 and it was my first time driving a vehicle. I will re-visit Brands Hatch with my Dad and we will recall our favourite memories of watching Motorsport together. At the kart track, I will explain my emotions when driving a vehicle on track and why I have always wanted to go the next step and race a car. 

This documentary will also feature some important interviews along the way. They will be filmed like an actuality sequence, myself and the interviewee will be doing something while speaking (if possible) which enable these sequences to be less staged. I will speak to professional race drivers about their struggles in finding financial funding and why that affecting their decisions when becoming a race car driver. I will speak to young karters about their journey into motorsport and let the documentary question what stopped me from doing racing as a child. I will also have a feature interview with a racing driver who suffered a horrible crash in 2017. He had to have both legs amputated and his story about "never giving up" will be inspirational as well as showing his attitude to not let anything get in the way of him achieving his dreams. These will link back to the diary room sequences and how my past decisions may have left me no choice but not to take motorsport more seriously at an earlier age.

While it is a documentary about "achieving dreams" we want to highlight some of the technical sides of motorsport. These topics include finding money to race, obtaining the fitness level to race, achieving the race license needed. These will be the sequences that will heighten the jeopardy of this documentary. There will be a sense of unrest when attempting to overcome these hurdles as they are all needed to prepare me for the final race. The importance of the final race will have been broadcast through the sequences remembering the past and visiting old locations, these are giving the context and meaning for me to push myself to overcome the hurdles set in front of me. As the viewer would have had the backstory through these old scenes, the happiness or sadness will be understandable depending on how each "hurdle" goes.

Throughout the documentary, we will also have snippets of information through voiceover or moments where I am speaking to the producer. These will not be direct pieces to camera as I will address the producer and look towards him. These scenes will enable me to transition from topic to topic and also allow the viewer into my mind and my thoughts through these opinions. The presence of the producer's voice will be heard throughout, but we will probably never see him.

This whole documentary will climax with the final race, assuming all situations beforehand go to plan. The race day will be the focal point of the documentary and my plan is to build up to the race by showing my reactions in the morning and on the way to the track. This nervous tension will then have meaning because of the narrative structure before it. We will follow me on the day of the event and get a mixture of on-track shots to be mixed in with shots of me waiting to take over the car for my half of the race. Once I am in the car we will focus on me out on the track and get some in-car audio of my reactions while going around. This scene will be visually pleasing with a mixture of speed/energy and slow-motion shots. This scene will be very cinematic but will include some shots of Sam (my teammate) in the garage as well as some of me in the car Via a Go Pro. After the race is done I want to show the raw emotions of achieving a life's ambition. After the race will mostly be about me coming to the realisation that it's complete.

The final events to take place in the documentary will be one last Diary room sequence where Geoge asks me “Now that you have finished the race, do you regret not asking your parents to race as a child?”... After my answer or non-answer, we will cut to a voiceover to quickly sum up what has happened and pose the question if we have succeeded in our task. The final voiceover will be personal and allow me to reflect on the journey and how it has changed me. The documentary will then cut to the credits and complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...