Tuesday 25 September 2018

Pre Production - Week 2 Meeting with Simon

After bringing up the research that I had been continuing with over the past week which has been shown in my previous blog posts, Simon gave me some advice going forward.

After mentioning how my grades had improved from the first to the second he said it was important to dedicate time to the university as I had been doing over the second year to make sure the third year was a success. Reading the handbooks properly will be important to make sure we include all of the required information in blogs and essays etc.

The detail was good on the blog was good throughout the second year, bar a slight slip in the final unit of Transition which could have been better. Critical understanding rather than explaining what was going on was important. Detail and planning for the practical work were what let down the grade in the final unit. More time on the project before the film is key. This is very important as my roles mostly fall into pre-production as a director and writer.

Going through the handbook methodically and making sure you include will help. You cannot fail if you include each point included in the handbook.

For my pre-production, it would be important to talk about the advancements in technology. (This also links into my dissertation) As TV did not have any "Personal Journey" documentaries on TV before technology got smaller and portable and affordable and allowed people to record home movies. This created a new genre and sparked many people to show their journeys through certain subjects in the form of a documentary. This was in the 1980s and '90s. This will be an important route to follow in research. Where there any attempts into personal films in the early years of film cameras. Case Studies - Nick Broomfield, Louis Theroux. Also look at Auto-Biographical case studies like Supersize Me.

It is important to note that we are staging the story to enable us to make a piece. We did not see an event happening and then decide to film it.
After realising that... You need to understand....

  • How this project is put together
  • Ethics of the project (IS IT BEING HONEST?)
  • How to remain objective
Important to include in THE PACKAGE
  • MOOD BOARD
  • STYLISTIC APPROACH
  • DIRECTORIAL APPROACH
And then it is vital for the viewer to understand:
  1. Where this project came from and why it's important
  2. History of why I want to do this 
  3. The personal side of the story 
  4. Why I am doing this now
  5. Why I am not doing this anyway
Time to starting thinking about the pitch and what to include, there is a chance that the project may not be "greenlit" straight away, I may be given an amber in which I may need to change a few parts of the project. - I hope to have planned thoroughly enough that it will be greenlit right away. The pitch should help alleviate any concerns previously held. 

Think about Locations - Correspondents - Contributors - Visuals 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...