Thursday 20 September 2018

Pre Production Research - Week 1

After my initial meeting with Simon, I wanted to research further into my idea and understand fully what I am going to be completing in my pre-production unit.

Clarifying The Idea

To make sure that this project is a success I need to clearly identify what the goal for my project is and what the story is going to tell.

My idea is a motorsport documentary that gives a behind the scenes look at the reality of preparing for your first ever motor race. The presenter (myself) goes on a personal journey in which I start as a complete rookie without any experience and the journey shows my progression and the obstacles in the way to compete in a motor race for the first ever time.

In my initial research, I think the documentary would work well in a "Behind The Scenes" Style in which capturing moments of honesty are important in telling the story and showing a realistic progression throughout the piece. Areas of deep contemplation are going to be important so that the viewer can connect with the story and me as a presenter.

My initial idea would for the speed of the documentary would ebb and flow throughout depending on what is happening. Some segments will have to be fast and action filled so that the story progresses throughout the 20 minutes. However, it will be important to have moments of realisation in which the piece is slower.

Content and Decisions

I think the use of archive pictures and video will help add layers to the story and create the cinematic style I want in this piece. This isn't a story that will be glorified, I want it to show the brutal truth of motorsport and how hard it really is. The use of archive footage will help tell the story as it will show the viewers that this has been a lifelong passion and the reason for this race meaning so much for me.
I know I have archive footage at home, but locating it and copying it over could be time-consuming, that is a factor I may need to be thinking about a few months in advance.

After talking with Simon, it is vital for the success of this project that I make sure that I am not making decisions about what is going to be filmed. That will be the role of producer George who will make sure the correct scenes are filmed as it doesn't paint an incorrect version of events. As I am involved in the project as a presenter, I cannot be deciding which scenes make the final cut, as this may take away from the reality of the story. I have sent loads of reference material to George to observe and understand and he will feedback to me with what he thinks will work and not work. I will then plan the shots after I know what George wants to be included which will allow my story to have a mixture of cinematic shots, while still observing this journey I will be going on.

What might be included in Pre Production
This gives me an idea of what I could possibly include in my documentary.
  • Documentary Script
  • Documentary Storyboards
  • 1 Minute Teaser Trailer (less important)
  • Character Profiles 
  • Crew Roles + Extra Crew needed
  • Motive Behind Project (Why this subject matter is important to me)
  • Budget
  • Schedule
  • Synopsis 
  • Treatment (Written expression of visuals)
  • Location and Camera Tests
  • Poster (less important)
People involved in Project

These are the people I can see being involved at this stage. As the project develops and I obtain more information about which scenarios are going to be played out so this list can be updated.
  • Myself - Presenting the project (The story about why this is important to me)
  • Sam Mckee - Driver who I am racing with and his importance is key into helping me learn my role in the race. Sam will undoubtedly be speaking to the camera as well with his thoughts
  • Parents and Freinds - Will be present during the race and it will be important to film reactions and thoughts to compound happiness or worries. 
  • Professional Race Drivers - giving an insight of what motorsport is really like and what I need to be doing to prepare for the project.
  • Donators To The Project -  A possible way to include people who pledge money. They could show excitement and passion for the project
Storyboarding and Script Format

It is impossible to exactly identify exactly what is going to happen in a script before it happens. 
However, I will plan a timeline of events, as well as what I want to be included and communicated in certain scenes. A shot list will be vital in understanding a cinematic approach to the project. Once I have fully understood what elements of the story are going to be included, I will start of a script which will allow me to show the depth of my project and the stories it is going to tell. I will plan these scenes as I think they will happen in my mind, but will full acceptance that certain scenes might change and we may also film some scenes that we did not originally plan if our story takes us in that direction. 

I will speak to Helen over the next few weeks to understand how exactly to approach a script and storyboard for a documentary that includes variables. A script that I have shows one section with narration, on with visuals and one with sound.

The viability of this Project
  • The car is confirmed to be available and Sam is more than happy to be apart of the project, but he would like confirmation of the project as soon as possible.
  • Costs are not as extreme as it may seem. They will be worked out precisely for my pitch, but initial costs would fall easily within the £800 per person budget that myself, Cailan and George have agreed on. 
  • Equipment like helmet costs and Racing license costs would fall to my personal cost or to money donated via fundraiser, which I knew would be the case and I am happy with that.
  • Getting access to film at Brands Hatch or another race track will be fine as I have contacts that I have previously obtained access through. Timing will be the biggest issue as we may not know which event (or track) we will be attending until a few months before. (2019 Schedules will be released in early 2019, with the race hopefully happening in March 2019)
  • Getting a racing license and equipment should not stand in the way of this project. Both of which we would like to film. The license especially will be time-consuming so maybe something I start before pre-production is finished. It will also be a dramatic part of the project and we will be sure to capture that.

After this first meeting, I am starting to understand the approach I need to take in this project. There will be a fine line between success and failure, the decisions for content will go through me, but I will not object to which scenes are included as I want this project to be an honest reflection of motorsport and its reality. Cutting out the more "brutal" scenes such as fitness and stress and worry would be negative. Even if it may show my personality more than I originally thought, I will be happy for it all to be included to make sure this project is not lying to itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...