Wednesday 14 March 2018

Filming Photoshoots - VT Research

Before filming our Photoshoot at UCA Rochester I wanted to understand how the professional's film photoshoots, and hopefully pick up a few tips about what coverage shots may be needed to ensure the piece is as good as possible.

Our shoot is almost replicating a "Behind The Scenes" style where you can often see the photographer in the shot and a lot of the time the model is focused on the photographer and not the video camera. The first photo shoot I found that I thought to be relevant was this one by Kurt Von

(Kurt Von, 2016)

This photoshoot is relevant because of the shots more than what is being talked about in the video. The video focuses more on the technicals of the photographer but I was more interested in what the Videographer was creating. 

The first thing I noticed was that lighting was incredibly important, even for the videographer. A lot of the scenes in this video are dark and grungey and we will have a few scenes in our photoshoot which will be similar to this. 
"The Importance of light in Photography. Lighting is a key factor in creating a successful image. ... Therefore it is necessary to control and manipulate light correctly in order to get the best texture, vibrancy of colour and luminosity on your subjects." (Shaw Acadamey, 2015) 
It was important to understand this as the lighting that the photographer will want, will set the "vibe" for the video at the same time. George Wing is still preparing the shot list and data for our photoshoot as we speak but I do know there will be four-time eras and the video style will change between each one. The lighting will be important in differentiating between the eras. From a Camera Operating point of view, I will have to adjust my camera on the day to the ever-changing lighting conditions. I will have to open the iris is we have a dark scene. The white balance will also be an issue if we change between multiple styles. I will liaise with the editor, Alex Hargood, on the day so we can make sure he has to do as little colour grading as possible. 

Going back to the Youtube video - Something as a camera operator that was important to understand was the use of movement of the camera. This Behind the scenes video has a mixture of static and moving shots. I wanted to understand why this was. 
"Studies of visual perception show that observer motion provides perspective changes that make information available about the environment. This study tested the hypothesis that television camera movement supplies similar information. Fixed and moving‐camera videotaped versions of a scene were shown to 92 adult participants. Results indicated that moving‐camera viewers better understood and remembered the physical properties of the scene. These findings indicate that the moving camera could benefit productions where knowledge of the environment is important."
Understanding this was incredibly important as I knew now that was would have four time periods in our Photoshoot, we would need camera movement to understand the set and the little details we would have added in. However, upon further reflection, I realise that I will not be in control of the scripted shots as that is the director's Job. If the director decided to let me create some of my own shots I will, of course, take the opportunity to create some movement shots in this project. I will relay any information I deem relevant to the director before the photo shoot so he can include some of my research in the plans. However, I understand my role as a camera operator does not include create all the shot sizes and types so that will be upon the director to ask me what he thinks is best to film. Understanding this research, however, gives me a much better understanding of why camera movement is used even in a scene like a photoshoot. If I get the opportunity to, I will make sure there are at least some relevant shots with movement in the final piece.

Further research led me to this photoshoot of Jackets. I understand the "vibe" of this and our show are slightly different but I think the use of the camera in this video is important and I learned a lot from watching it.

 (BTS Mic Drop, 2017)

The use of the camera in this video is really superb. The use of the slow reveal with the movement of the camera is important as, like previously mentioned, it shows off more of the detail up close. I also really liked the mixture of shot sizes in this video. 
"What really differentiates movies from plays is the way filmmakers manipulate the audience’s field of view. In theater, the audience is in a “wide shot,” always looking at the entire stage and all the actors on it. They are free to look wherever they want. In cinema, however, the filmmaker directs what the public sees and how. While a long shot can show a vast vista of Mount Everest, an extreme close-up can show the silent despair of a child learning that his mother has passed away. These different shots make up the fabric of visual storytelling." (Elements of cinema, 2014)
By changing the shot sizes it gives the viewers different understanding of the scene. I am assuming George will direct a wide opening shot to set the scene of each of the four eras of the photoshoot, and then go into more detail of the outfit. For the closer images, it would be worth mixing up Medium shots, Close-ups and even Extreme close-ups could be used in this photoshoot. I think it is vital to get a variety of shot sizes otherwise the pace of the photoshoot will seem the same throughout. We may even have an era where the background is as important as the actual model and what is being worn so in that instance we would stay on wider shots as that we would be apart of the theme from that era. If the background is plain or not as relevant we would stay with close up shots as there is no point including a background that is not worth showing. I think a mixture of shot sizes will also give the editor, Alex Hargood, a better selection of clips to edit. It will mean that it is not that same shot essentially over and over for 2 minutes. I will relay any feedback or relevant information to the group so we can go into the photo shoot with the best knowledge possible.

It has been really interesting to understand why photo shoots are filmed the way they are. We will be filming in a few days time so I hope to receive the shot list from the director as well as any storyboards as then I can get to work on planning what I will exactly need to do. If I do not recieve any scripts it may hurt my preparation for the shotshoot, but I hope ti does not get to that stage.


Bibliography

Kurt Von, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClKu3B8souI
Accessed on 14th March 2018

Shaw Acadamy, 2015
http://www.shawacademy.com/blog/light-in-photography/
Accessed on 14th March 2018\

Phillip Kipper, 2009
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08838158609386625
Accessed on 14th March 2018

BTS Mic Drop, 2017
Accessed on 14th March 2018

Elements of cinema, 2014
http://www.elementsofcinema.com/cinematography/framing-shot-sizes/
Accessed on 14th March 2018






No comments:

Post a Comment

Production - Major Project Evaluation

Overall Process The creation of "Dream Chaser" has certainly been the hardest challenge of my life. I took on board the responsi...